flag Panama Panama: Statistical Overview

Capital: Panama City


Total Population: 4,408,581
Natural Increase: 1.3%
Density: 59 Inhabitants/km²
Urban Population: 69.1%
Population of main cities: Panama City (430,300); San Miguelito (315,100); Las Cumbres (127,500); La Chorrera (118,600); Tocumen (113,200); Pacora (104,000); Arraiján (96,700); David (82,000); Vista Alegre (55,200); Santiago de Veraguas (51,300)
Ethnic Origins: About 88% of the total population of Panama is of non-indigenous origin, the remaining 12% are of Amerindian origin. Among the indigenous population, the most present ethnic groups are the Ngäbe with 62.3% of the total indigenous population, the Guna represent about 19%, the Emberá 7.5% and finally the Buglé with 6.4%. (National Institute of Statistics and Censuses of Panama)
Official Language: Spanish
Other Languages Spoken: A lot of Panamanians speak English fluently. Several indigenous dialects are also spoken.
Business Language(s): Spanish and English, because of the many business and other relationships with the United States.
Religion: Catholics 80%, Protestants 10%, Muslims 5%, Others 5%.
Literacy Rate: 91.9%

Local Time:

It is %T:%M %A In Panama

Exchange Rate on :

National Currency: Panamean Balboa (PAB)

Country Overview

Area: 75,320 km²
Type of State: Panama is a republic based on a parliamentary democracy.
Type of Economy: Upper-middle-income economy.
The economy is based on port activities; tourism; agricultural exports and Canal fees.
HDI*: 0.780/1
HDI (World Rank): 60/188

Note: (*) The HDI, Human Development Index, is an Indicator Which Synthesizes Several Data Such as Life Expectancy, Level of Education, Professional Careers, Access to Culture etc.


Telephone Code:
To call from Panama, dial 00
To call Panama, dial +507
Internet Suffix: .pa
Telephone Lines: 17.7 per 100 Inhabitants
Internet Users: 45.2 per 100 Inhabitants
Access to Electricity: 90.88% of the Population

Foreign Trade in Figures

Foreign Trade Indicators 20192020202120222023
Imports of Goods (million USD) 21,49214,74020,59629,24935,095
Exports of Goods (million USD) 11,3189,48313,16115,27815,713
Imports of Services (million USD) 5,1133,2134,1445,5515,727
Exports of Services (million USD) 13,7348,19210,64815,29718,032

Source: WTO – World Trade Organisation, Latest data available.


Any Comment About This Content? Report It to Us.

© eexpand, All Rights Reserved.
Latest Update: May 2024